Sunday, January 2, 2011

Improving the Patient Experience

Occasionally, I'll have to start an IV on a patient who confesses, "I'm really bad with needles." That got me thinking, what can I do to make the IV stick less scary?

1) I could point out that it could be much worse.





2) I could arrange for a distraction.



3) Hmm maybe a more positive distraction...


4) I've heard that animals are therapeutic for hospitalized patients.


As you can see, I believe health care professionals should find innovative ways to improve the patient experience.

That's why next week, I'm going to dress up as Hannibal Lecter when I go to work. A lot of people like that movie, and I'm sure that identifying their nurse with the well-known and revered American icon that is Anthony Hopkins will help them feel like they are at home in their living rooms, watching movies on TV. What could be more comforting than that?

1 comment: